|Almost FO, and two WIPs
||[Sep. 29th, 2005|07:33 pm]
|||||Amy Lee - Broken||]|
So, I finished off Grandpa's cabled scarf, minus blocking, weaving ends and fringe. The gauge on this was so tightly knitted that it ended up taking forever! So, I pinned it out to block, to make it a little flatter, and during the night the cats got into the study and screwed it up. It's now laying in a pile until I can take it home to the 'rents and pin it to the carpet where there are no indoor animals.
Me being my ADD self, I now have two WIPs. I cast on what should have been branching out in the Modea Dea Dream yarn, but chickened out when I discovered that it's actually a compound yarn -- one strand for the lovely soft velvet that makes the bulk of the yarn, and one thin strand for the eyelash 'halo'. It's also quite slippery, and made too chicken to attempt knitting my first lace pattern with it. So, after working the first five rows in garter stitch in preparation to do branching out, but then switched to seed stitch when I decided to be a wimp. I'll work the bulk of it in seed stitch, and put a matching border in garter stitch on the end before I bind off.
This is my progress so far, before I got bored with seed stitching:
Then, on Tuesday this week, my wonderful mother and I went to the local yarn shop, where I discovered they DO carry elspeth lavold's Silky Wool!! And Mom treated me to a skein in a cranberry red color! Double YAY! So, with no more excuses, I cast on my branching out. I had to look up most of the standard increases and decreases on Stitch Guide, but it was really helpful, and although tricky, if you take time to learn the necessary stitches, branching out is really not that hard. I'm totally addicted to lace knitting now!!
One hundred rows (in two days) later, and mine looks like this:
Obviously it'll need to be blocked, but it looks great, and I'm sooo proud of myself.