||[Oct. 7th, 2005|10:09 pm]
|||||Star Wars - Vader's Theme||]|
So, the project that has been eating my life for the past two weeks and more is finally halfway done!
My roommate John asked me to help him with his movie replica Darth Vader costume. I made a 3/4 circle cloak for him to go with it last year, and this year he's completing the outfit. And instead of shelling out $300 for a pleather bodysuit online, he ordered some pleater from Denver Fabrics and asked me to quilt it and put it together for him into a jacket and pants instead of a bodysuit.
I agreed not knowing what a total pain the project was going to be. VERY labour intensive, and tedious work. First, all pieces had to be quilted in inch apart vertial lines. I used a cotton broadcloth for the backing and some low-loft quilt batting in the middle for definition. The problem with this was, even with a walking foot on my machine, the heavier pleather top layer pulled through more slowly than the broadcloth and batting, making the back gather up sharply and the edges creep and not go to the edge of the pleather. The only solution was to cut the batting and broadcloth larger than the pleather, in sort of a 'halo' effect, and then trim any remaining excess when the quilting process was done.
I've only done the jacket so far, and let me tell you, the actual putting together was a huge huge pain. The separating zipper in the back took 4 tries to get in right. The collar took 3, and finally, like the zipper, had to be hand-basted first. A real pain in the fingers trying to get the basting through the thick layers! And then, one of the armscyes grew. I have no idea why. Both sides were cut perfectly symmetrically, as were both sleeveheads. One side fit perfectly. One side, the armscye had a whole inch and a half extra that I had to fudge. What a pain. Especially since the pleather won't tolerate any kind of ease whatsoever. Fortunately, this problem spot will be hidden underneath his armor, under cloak and cloak.
I present, picture! This will link to a larger image so you can better see the quilting.
On a different note, my branching out is done! Thank you all for your kind comments, and I'll post finished pictures as soon as it's blocked!